1. We could see the water tower coming down the hill.
2. Until then, stoplights were run by operators with buttons.
3. Covered in wildflowers, Timmy pondered the hillside’s beauty.
4. Nailed to the fence, Sally saw the “No Trespassing” sign.
5. Jeff bought an old Jeep from a crooked dealer with a faulty transmission.
6. Sam screamed at the barking dog in his underwear.

7. My parents bought a house from a man with no inside plumbing.
8. Being out of order, the president asked me to sit down.
9. Fido was fed food by my dad in a dog dish.
10. Bumping along in a Jeep, the moon looked beautiful.
11. The patient was referred to a psychologist with several emotional problems.
12. Two cars were reported stolen by the Baltimore County police yesterday.
13. Please take time to look over the brochure that is enclosed with your family.
14. Leaking in several places, the Scouts abandoned their tents.
15. As we begin, I must ask you to banish all information from your minds, if you have any.
16. A suburb and inexpensive restaurant, fine food was served by waitresses in appetizing forms.
17. Sizzling on the grill, Theo smelled the Copper River salmon.
18. For Sale: An antique table suitable for guests with thick legs and large drawers.
19. Wanted: Men to take care of cows that do not smoke or drink.

20. For Sale: Mixing bowl set designed to please a cook with a round bottom for efficient beating.
5 comments:
When I taught journalism, I used to tell my students to beware of "the two-headed lady snake's ring."
Whenever I encounter misplaced modifiers, I think of "Nailed to the fence, Sally saw the 'No Trespassing' sign." For some reason, this is the example I remember you using at The Concordian.
Aren't those just absolutely hysterical? I have, not necessarily a misplaced, but a misused modifier. One student was writing about The Crucible and stated, "Elizabeth Proctor was satisfied knowing that John was well hung." Now, explain how I corrected THAT one in the paper!
The only response had to be: "Lucky Elizabeth."
Oh that is great. That is so great. I love it!
Post a Comment