Friday, October 30, 2009

The Haircut

I got a haircut earlier this week. I told my husband about it a dozen times in at least a dozen different ways, but maybe I was too subtle:

"Ugh, my hair looks awful. I'm so glad it's getting chopped this week."

"Only two more days, and I get rid of all these split ends!"

And perhaps the most cryptic message of all:

"Matt, I'm going to get a haircut right now."

I got home and waited for Matt to say something. Nothing. I waved my head in his face, and he said, "Oh yeah. How was your haircut?" I told him that I finally got my split ends cut off and my color spruced up. "I'm sorry, but I've decided that hair removal must be greater than or equal to three inches before I'll notice," he said.

The next day at school, not two minutes into first period, a female student asked, "Did you get your hair done? It looks a little darker. And is it shorter? Did you get layers? I don't think it used to flip out like that." Apparently, to a teenage girl, a haircut can be less than or equal to a quarter of a millimeter, and it will get noticed.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

I shouldn't post this here, but maybe Matt doesn't see it because he's, well, um, not a hair guy. He's just not used to hair. :)

Mike R said...

Rebecca.. oh Rebecca.. I beg to differ with you. Matt is the hairiest man ever. It just happens not to be on his head. :-) But I do agree with Matt I don't notice it unless it is some what drastic.

Austin said...

As a guy, and a very hairy one at that, I am asking you to lay off Matty just a little. See, we're too busy checking out women's bodacious bods to notice anything less-than-drastic in the follicle region.

Rachel said...

If Matt had said anything resembling "bodacious bod" instead of "greater than or equal to..." this whole post may be been moot.

And, Rebecca, if he worked for an amazing skin/hair company like your husband (with a full head of hair) does, it may also be moot. :)

Marketing Mama said...

All he would have to say is "You look great!" - it doesn't matter how minimal the difference...

Maybe if you rewarded post-haircut compliments with something that mattered to him (um, use your imagination), he might be more willing. :)

I think it's great your student noticed. My hubby will actually compliment me on my eyebrows if he knows I'm getting them waxed b/c he knows it's important to me. :)

Mike R said...

"You look great!" isn't a logical response. He would have made a complement if the change of hair was greater than or equal to 3". Matt lives in a 1 or 0 world. It is either on or off. :-)

BTW I am shipping your husband some network equipment for him to tinker with!

Anti-Supermom said...

I have learned to just come right out and ask "how's the haircut?". Otherwise, I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.

Rachel said...

I don't mean to be hard on Matt. One of the things I love about him is his "1 or 0" world. His equating a woman's haircut to a math equation is classic. The juxtaposition of the teenage girl's reaction was just too classic.

carolmom said...

I knew exactly where you were going with that the whole time. It's not so much that Matt DIDN'T notice per se; it's that the young, stylish, "with-it" young lady was incredibly observant and noticed the wonderful transformation! Did I call that one? :))