This time of year is always busy, but this year seems busier than most. I seem to have an inordinately large number of papers to grade, more students than average who need extra help, homework and presentations for the class I'm taking, not to mention loads and loads of Christmas shopping. Perhaps because of all this seasonal stress, I've had a harder time than usual lately dialing down the teacher while in public.
At a local mall just last night, I had three separate teacher moments with local teenagers:
I saw a young man with low-riding pants, and I had to stop myself mid-sentence from telling him to take pull them off. "No one wants to see that," I started to say.
I saw a young lady drop something, pause long enough to look at it, then keep walking. This time, I tried to stop myself but succumbed to the pressure. I asked her to come pick up what she had dropped.
I saw a group of young men wearing the exact same red baseball hat, all of which had oversized flat brims and were far too large for their little heads. This time, I didn't even try to stop myself. I turned to the friend I was shopping with and said rather loudly, "Isn't it a shame that they couldn't at least find different dorky hats?"
3 comments:
Gosh I am excited to see you.
Welcome to the world, Baby Girl! But you know, if it wasn't for out-of-school teachers, few people would address the errors of those teens. We know that they really want to be told what's right, but people just fear teenagers. As you go through life, people will be in awe of you because you can handle teens. :) Wonderful! :))
Ditto Feyds! Hearing about your Rachel-isms (or teacher-isms) makes me miss you friend!
Post a Comment