Saturday, January 16, 2010

44 vs. XLIV

There was an article in The New Yorker this week about one of the most fascinating convergences of Americana I've ever seen: U.S. Presidents and Super Bowls. There have been, after all, 44 of each, so it was only a matter of time before someone decided to face them against each other. That time has arrived with the "America Bowl."

I could try to explain its genius, but I really can't do it justice. This is how the site's author, Don Steinberg, describes the contest:

"There have been 44 presidents in U.S. history, and on February 7, 2010, the 44th Super Bowl game will be played. For the only time in history, America's greatest institutions will be all even with each other.

"But which have been better? Our Super Bowl games? Or our Presidents? Finally, we can find out!

"Each day, for 44 days leading up to Super Bowl 44, America Bowl will match a President against the same-numbered Super Bowl game. Each day one will win -- and score a point.

"It will all come to a head on February 7, when Super Bowl XLIV is matched against 44th President Barack Obama. Will it all come down to who wants it more on that last game day? Keep checking in here to find out!"

As the article notes, the criteria for these 44 matches is vague, but that doesn't make the contests any less entertaining. Steinberg's wit and knowledge of both history and sports culture makes this page worth bookmarking--at least for the next 23 days.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing. I'm excited to see how they determine the winner for each bowl.

carolmom said...

That article was hysterical. I laughed all the way through. I hope you keep us "posted"--goal or otherwise.