Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pearls of teenage wisdom

When I first met my students, I asked them to write something about themselves so I could get to know them. I asked them to complete either "The most interesting thing about me is..." or "Something most people don't know about me is..."

One student who was rich of intellect but lacking any discernible social skills wrote "The most interesting thing about me is that I am a Narcissist. Narcissism was developed by Dr. Sigmund Freud and refers predominately to the personality trait of egotism..." And it only got better from there.

I was teaching the same students Oedipus not long after that, and I had them write a lot of journal entries along the way to connect with the play. In one of the entries, they were to describe a time when their hubris, or excessive pride, got them in trouble. This student wrote a lengthy oration on the meaning and derivation of the word "hubris," but nothing about his own excessive pride. I thought he of all students would have no trouble with that.

Me: "I'm afraid you didn't follow the assignment. You were to write about YOUR hubris."

Student: "Yes, and while I appreciated where you were coming from, I'm afraid I find it impossible to write about myself."

He is, by far, the most modest and self-effacing Narcissist I have ever met.

2 comments:

carolmom said...

You need to share this with The New Yorker--somehow! They appreciate marvelous ironies. :)

Rebecca said...

I agree with your mom. Nice.