Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dogsitting Children

I have to preface this by saying that I love children. Honest, I do. I adore my students, and I'm very fond of small children--in equally small doses.

On Friday night, I helped with a youth fundraiser at church: "Parents' Night Out." In other words, we babysat. I was in charge of the room that entertained 27 children between the ages of four and six for over three hours. Now, even with a hangover, I can handle 27 15-year-olds (let's not talk about how I know that), but 27 little ones? Not so much.

My coping mechanism was to treat the children like I treat Barley. When one of them tried to run out the door, I yelled, "Stay!" When they wouldn't sit down to put their shoes on, I yelled, "Sit!" When one particularly precocious child lay down on another child's toy, I even said, "Roll over!"

I don't think I went so far as to whistle at a child, but I did fantasize about getting a few of those kid leashes.

2 comments:

Dad said...

See, now you know why your mother and I never wanted to teach the "little people."

Rebecca said...

Did you give them treats for being good? I do that.