As their final major assignment this year, my students were tasked with creating something that looked as much as possible like a Facebook page for one of the main characters in the classic play, Cyrano de Bergerac. The project was inspired by Sarah Schmelling's amazing book, Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float.
While I told students to create something that resembled a Facebook page, these technology-loving members of the Millennial Generation asked if they could create a new Facebook account instead. I agreed. And I'm so glad I did.
Letting them create the project in this familiar platform gave them such amazing freedom to convey the emotions and relationships so inherent to the understanding (and, more importantly, the appreciation) of this play.
I have to share an example of the type of work my students created. I'm sharing this in part because the work is so terribly entertaining, but I'm mostly sharing it because these students won't be my students after next week. What better way to pay tribute to them than by showing off their work?
Take some time to poke through all three of these profiles (as well as the groups characters have joined and other creations; you'll see some actual Facebook users joining their groups): First, Cyrano de Bergerac, the brilliant swordsman who is quick-witted, but embarrassed about the size of his nose. Second, beautiful Roxane, the woman whom Cyrano loves, but who loves the handsome Christian instead. Cyrano helps Christian woo Roxane, only to find out too late that she came to love Cyrano's soul, not Christian's looks. It's a classic love triangle, which is why it lends itself so well to Facebook...and teenagers.
2 comments:
Isn't it incredible when the kids really "get it"? It's a sensation that no one but a teacher could possibly understand.
What a great way to engage your students. You are such a good teacher.
Post a Comment