Today, I hit my students with the Earth-shattering news that "alright" is not a word. It's "all right." As students are every year, they were dumbfounded, baffled and even a little angry. We had the same conversation we have every year about the addition of conversational (or "nonstandard") words into the dictionary. I told them the inclusion of words such as "d'oh" and "ain't" in the dictionary doesn't make them words that educated people use in intelligent speech and writing.
One student interjected, "But what about in songs? People use 'ain't' in songs all the time!"
Judging by the below-the-equator pants and previous comments from this student, I replied, "I don't think we should look to rap artists for proper diction."
He shot back, "No! You know that song, 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'? That ain't no rap!"
6 comments:
Well, perhaps he does have a teeny point there. :D
That is hilarious. What was your reply?
What could I say? He made a sound argument. :)
And, honestly, the experience of hearing this particular kid sing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was worth being wrong.
Rachel,
I've been kind of out of touch with the world, so it's so nice to stumble upon your blog and reading that post.... it sooooo made my day!
thanks for that. I needed this :)
You're so welcome, Aleks! I'm glad you stopped by. :)
Indeed, that ain't no rap. You have your work cut out for you.
Post a Comment