Today in class, my sophomores found passages from the novel we're reading, then wrote words to describe the tone of each passage. This is the week before Spring Break, so some students got a little punchy and began making up words.
Then their teacher got a little punchy.
"You're such a word-maker," I said. Then I thought about it. The tune to "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar started running through my head. Soon I was singing:
You're a...
Word-maker
Thesaurus-writer
Synonyms, don't you mess around with me
You're the right kind of sentence
To release my inner imagery
You're a...
Word-maker
Thesaurus-writer
Synonyms, don't you mess around with me
The next thing I knew, I was singing it all afternoon. It really is catchy.
My delightful 7th period (which I can now share is my favorite--thank you, blog lock-down) added this addendum at the end of the day: "And then we gonna go all antonym, yo!" Yes, the shift from 80's pop icon to gansta rap is a bit jarring, but they did include a hand signal: picture a "hang loose" gesture upside down, kind of like the letter A--for antonym. Brilliant.
And just in case anyone isn't familiar with "Heartbreaker," (and so you can have "Word-maker" in your heads all day, too) this is my gift to you. Go ahead...sing along.
3 comments:
Love this! I hope you got the kids to sing it, too! It's almost better than the helping verb song!
Talk to Katherine & Molly about how much I sang Heartbreaker in college. LOVED IT. Still do. Best karaoke song? Total Eclipse of the Heart. Thank you Pat Benatar.
Todd just corrected me, Bonnie Tyler sang Total Eclipse of the Heart. Oops.
Post a Comment