Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Maternal Superstar

My mom is receiving an award for her amazing volunteer work at Rezek House in St. Paul.  Other retirees take up knitting or gardening; my mom reaches out to homeless teenagers.  She's uniquely amazing.

The recognition ceremony for this award is tomorrow night, and it has me running Carol Berg memories through the brain.  Who else's mother includes a quote from Hamlet in the senior ads portion of the high school yearbook?  Everyone else's said some Chaska variation of, "Go, Billy!  We love you!" but mine said, "Darling daughter: to thine own self be true."  I've done my best, Mom.

Then, of course, there's also the memory of the time she had the second margarita and gave us a very entertaining car ride home (from the passenger seat, naturally), but I'm sticking with the Shakespeare thing.

2 comments:

Dad said...

She's one in a million!!!

carolmom said...

Thank you. I wish I could tell you how much this means--your comments, I mean. Perhaps some day my meager vocabulary can express what I feel right now, but I doubt it. LUV YA TONS AND BUNCHES!!!