Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hoping for a nerd

Matt and I often tell each other how we hope and pray that Franny is a nerd.  Cool kids get in all sorts of trouble, especially if they have too much money and time on their hands.  My favorite students aren't the ones who are the most popular, but the ones who work hard and are sweet and respectful.

Last weekend, I found one of my favorite childhood books.  I read it over and over to Barley/Franny.

Later that weekend, Matt said, out of nowhere, "I'm going to get Franny an abacus."  I laughed and asked why in the world that would be necessary.  He looked at me like I was crazy.  "Uh, how else am I going to teach him binary?"

Perhaps we should direct our concerns away from Franny being too cool and toward protecting him from getting beat up under the bleachers.

5 comments:

carolmom said...

I can't imagine that Franny will have much of a choice other than to be a nerd! WONDERFUL! :D

amt317 said...

I agree with Carol. Franny is just as doomed as Erin. They can be friends and someday rule the world. :)

Rachel said...

Just like their mothers, Abbi! If by "rule the world" you mean "complain about other people's grammar" and "laugh at obscure literary references."

Julia said...

I wanted to like these comments. Alas, I'm not on the right social media. :) love you both.

carolmom said...

Oh, Rachel. I hope Franny laughs a LOT at those references. I have to admit, though, at first I read "obscene" instead of "obscure." Did a double take. Oops. That will have to wait a few years!!