Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pearls of Teenage Wisdom

Two of my favorite students (we totally have favorites; teachers who say they don't are lying) were working together on a project in class last week.  Both students are extremely proud African American girls, as should be evident by this conversation:

Girl 1: Daaaang, Ms. Scherer.  You gettin' kinda big!
Girl 2: Kinda?  You done popped out!
Me: Is this a good thing?
Girl 1: Oh, for sure.  You know how some pregnant ladies be all skinny all over, but then have the belly?
Me: I think that's kind of cute.
Girl 2: Ugh.  That's so ugly.
Girl 1: I know, right?  You look good, Ms. Scherer.  You fillin' out like a pregnant lady ought to.

Girl 1 had told me previously that she has 11 (yes, 11) siblings.  She knows what a pregnant lady ought to look like.

Later in the same class period, the two girls stopped me again.

Girl 1: Ms. Scherer, we decided we gonna buy you a present.  What you havin?  A boy or a girl?
Me: We don't know.  It's going to be a surprise.
Girl 2 (to Girl 1): Here's what we gonna do.  I'll buy a girl outfit, you buy a boy outfit, then we'll return the one we don't need.
Me: You ladies don't have to buy me anything.  But you know, they do make gender-neutral baby clothes.
Girl 1: Snap!  Ms. Scherer, that's why you the teacher, not us.

1 comment:

Liz Capouch said...

I love all of this. I can totally hear this conversation taking place!