Friday, June 27, 2008

First Facebook, then public signage

In a surprising leap forward in the battle against nonstandard English usage, Facebook will soon do away with the unsightly "their" when a "his" or "her" should be used. No longer will Sarah update "their" profile picture. Gone are the days of Mike commenting on "their" own photo.

It's a small victory, but I'll take it.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

What if someone is an it? In my work world, we talk about Medicare beneficiaries. If there is one, the beneficiary is an it. I may write a sentence that says, "The beneficiary's record should reflect _____ Medicaid status." Can you use "their" in the blank? I personally use "his" for all things it, but I want to know what you would do.

Rachel said...

If I don't know whether the person is a male or female, I say "his or her." It's a shame that English doesn't provide a nice gender-neutral option like most other languages do. Someday, "their" may evolve into that, but for now it's "his or her."

carolmom said...

ANY--I repeat--ANY movement which reflects an acknowledgment of correct grammar is welcome! SIGH! It is a Sisyphean task which lies ahead: making the general public aware of grammar!

carolmom said...

ANY, I repeat, ANY movement toward more correct grammar is a momentous step. Perhaps it is a Sisyphean task, but it moves toward a desirable goal.