
Every Sunday night back in college, Matt and I ordered pizza from Slap Shot Pizza, sat on the stinky, orange couch at his house ("The Jesus"), and vegged out to "Suck-you-in-Sunday," or the stream of programming on Fox that would suck us in and keep us from our homework.
After we graduated and were living at our respective parents' houses, we classed it up a bit. We'd hit the Papa Mur
phy's in Shakopee (okay, so we didn't class it up too much), sit on the floor of his room at his parents' house and enjoy getting sucked in by The Simpons and Family Guy.After we moved east and left the Papa Murphy's franchise behind, we decided to make our tradition more of a grown-up affair. Yes, we still allow ourselves to be sucked in to Fox's lowest-common-denominator Sunday-night programming (60 Minutes? What?), but now we make our pizzas from scratch.
During a recent lull in Matt's beer-brewing routine, he realized that baking bread was much like brewing beer. "It's just another form of fermenting yeast," he said. Before I knew it, he was baking white bread, wheat bread, cinnamon bread, you name it. He was also making his own pizza dough.
I'm so grateful that Matt and I have held on to a few of our favorite college traditions, and I love that silly things like eating pizza and watching cartoons are still the moments that we look forward to. I'm ecstatic, however, that we've traded Slap Shot pepperoni for homemade, hand-tossed crusts with caramelized onions and goat cheese.
5 comments:
Man, that pizza looks GOOD. Hmmm. I'm hungry.
Interesting shape to that pizza you have...maybe you could open your own shop & call it: ameoba pizza!
ha ha! Oh I'm so funny.
I know! We had a little accident when the sticky dough met the pizza stone. Matt tried to fix it, then asked, "So that one's yours right?"
I've decided that I like your hair shorter like you have it now. :)
It doesn't look at all like Shakey's but it does look tasty in its own way.
Post a Comment