Sunday, February 8, 2009

"It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like National Grammar Day"

As I'm sure most faithful readers are aware, there are only 24 shopping days until National Grammar Day. March 4th ("March forth") will be here before we know it, so it's never too early to prepare. Thanks to the folks at the Society for the Protection of Good Grammar for this little game, which is sure to get you in the holiday spirit. Why should my students have all the fun? Leave your answers to "Correct the Celebrity!" in the comments section.

1. Which album title has the spelling error?

a. “Dutchess,” by Fergie
b. “Growing Pains” by Mary J. Blige
c. “Graduation” by Kanye West
d. None of the above

2. What’s wrong with this lyric by Justin Timberlake?

“When you cheated girl
My heart bleeded girl.”

a. It’s perfect as it is. Leave Justin alone!
b. “Bleeded” is not a word. “Bled” is.
c. There should be commas before and after “girl”
d. Both b and c are correct.

3. Note the errors Paris Hilton made blogging about her new shoe collection. (Hint: there are at least four!)

“Don’t worry, if you arent in Orange County, you can also get the shoes at Kitson, Zappos.com, Endless.com, Bakers, Lord & Taylor and select specialty boutiques across the counrty”

4. Correct the following movie titles:

a. How She Move
b. The Pursuit of Happynes
c. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
d. The 40 Year Old Virgin
(I would add one more as noted by Ms. Lynn Truss: Two Weeks Notice)

5. Note the error in this statement by Christina Aguilera:

Today is a very joyful and special day for Jordan and I as we welcome our first son into this world.

6. What’s wrong with this David Hasselhoff quote?

“I am also doing a heart-rendering set on my life and the mistakes I have made.”

a. There should be a comma after life.
b. “heart-rendering” doesn’t need a hyphen.
c. “heart-rendering” should be “heart-rending”
d. The sentence is fine as is.

7. A boyfriend of Jessica Simpson’s dumped her via text message. The related headline contains an error. What is it? (The grammatical error, that is. Ignore the garish social milieu of ending a relationship via text message.)

Jessica Dumped in 118 Characters or Less

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 bucks mom gets 100%...just like you did! I have a scary, scary family! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all, album titles should be in italics, not quotation marks since they contain many items (e.g the same as book titles and chapter titles). The song titles in the albums would be in q.m.'s.
Now I'll go back and look at the rest of the test. I'll just email the answers so I don't take up too much more space!

Anonymous said...

Missed a comma after "marks." Sorry sweetie

Anonymous said...

One last observation. Perhaps Hasselhoff really intended a "heart-rendering" song. Maybe he was going to take his heart out, do whatever process he was going to do, and then serve it up to his son. Interesting thought, don't you think?

Rebecca said...

So I caught some of them, but I know I missed a few, too. Rachel, can I sign up for private tutoring with you?