Thanks so much to my very dear friend, Jessica, for forwarding this wonderful story to me.
When I read it, I couldn't help but think of another Commander-in-Chief with a similar problem: former Concordia president Thomas Thomsen. We had a standing joke at The Concordian, the illustrious weekly newspaper of our college, that his name wasn't actually Dr. Thomsen, nor was it President Thomsen or even Tom or Tommy. His name was "BarbandI." Every single first-person reference included his wife:
"Barb and I are so grateful."
"Barb and I saw a great movie last week."
"Barb and I still haven't figured out why we get strange looks at the mall."
I hate to think that our 44th president is becoming a "MichelleandI."
The article also points out that President Obama uses "myself" in an attempt to avoid learning whether "I" or "me" is correct. Like the students who place an apostrophe directly over the S, we're on to you, Mr. President. Such malfeasance is grounds to have your membership in the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar revoked. Next to impeachment, I can't imagine a worse fate.
1 comment:
"Barb&I are so glad to welcome _random speaker_ because we feel this speaker really illuminates our mission, to influence the affairs of the world by sending into society thoughtful and informed men and women dedicated to the Christian life."
Post a Comment