In the past few weeks, I've heard much about the dissolving honeymoon period of the Obama presidency. The attempt at bipartisanship was an apparent failure, we're back to the same old Washington infighting and I have to ask: what's wrong with that?
While I may not agree with those of the minority party, this open dialogue certainly is a welcome departure from the "if you're not with us, you're against us" attitude of the last eight years. Besides, partisanship is hardly a new phenomenon. This piece from NPR's "On the Media" is one of the best explanations I've heard for why we will always have--and perhaps why we will always need--partisan bickering:
3 comments:
And DAMMIT! We WON! So there!
The thing is, partisanship isn't new, and one might even argue that by historical standards, what Democrats and Republicans say to each other nowadays is pretty tame stuff.
In Jefferson's time, for example, it was customary for politicians to fund newspapers and hire writers to write positive stories about them and negative things about their opponents.
http://www.philosophersguild.com/index.lasso?page_mode=Product_Detail&cat=mugs&skip=11&item=0971&sortby=rank DESC
This mug made me think of this post...
Post a Comment