
Conan O'Brien left the airwaves last week. He'll be back in June as host of The Tonight Show, but I just don't think it'll be the same.
Who else includes a grammar bit in a "best of" montage?
And for the record:
Usage Note: Snuck is an Americanism first introduced in the 19th century as a nonstandard regional variant of sneaked. Widespread use of snuck has become more common with every generation. It is now used by educated speakers in all regions. Formal written English is more conservative than other varieties, of course, and here snuck still meets with much resistance. Many writers and editors have a lingering unease about the form, particularly if they recall its nonstandard origins. And 67 percent of the Usage Panel disapproved of snuck in our 1988 survey. Nevertheless, an examination of recent sources shows that snuck is sneaking up on sneaked. Snuck was almost 20 percent more common in newspaper articles published in 1995 than it was in 1985.
And Conan's favorite clip is absolutely hilarious:
Can you make a play for a potential Civil War widow on national television before Midnight? I don't think so.
3 comments:
Snuck WAS in the dictionary...
I wish that I wasn't someone who goes to bed by 9:00 each night. I would have loved to watch Conan. Maybe I'll be able to stay up later by next summer that I can watch him on The Tonight Show!
I love Conan O'Brien. I was actually disappointed because his last week left out some of my favorite moments. But the 1864 baseball was fantastic.
I thought of you, though, when he was interviewing Eliza Dushku last week, and she said that she listens to these verbal enhancement CDs in the car, and that fact encouraged Conan to say, "I think I'm falling in love with you."
I love Conan SO MUCH!
And hey, who was paying attention to sneaked v. snuck? I couldn't take my eyes of J. Garner...
Oops. I wasn't supposed to say that out loud.
Post a Comment