Matt and my students may not agree, but, according to Nielsen Media Research, I am a much-needed demographic! A lady from Nielsen called for Matt a few weeks ago, and I intercepted the call. She told me that she'd send me forms to fill out (I do love form-filling), along with $30 cash and a small TV diary. Add to that sales pitch the fact that I grew up listening to my parents talk about how they saved Cheers via Nielsen ratings, and I was on board.Now I get to spend the next week diligently recording every program that our household watches. It's a bit confusing, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the complicated diaries. She didn't tell me that I'd have to complete a separate diary for each TV and that I'd have to record both Matt's and my viewing habits, not to mention everything we record with the DVR. But if it means saving 30 Rock and my Frasier reruns, I'm up for the challenge.
Of course, that $30 cash from Nielsen will go quickly. I'm willing to help you save your favorites, too, for a price.
5 comments:
I have always wanted to do Nielsen ratings. Seriously. So I am envious. I always want to do it when I love a show that isn't getting enough love. I wished for a call when Studio 60 was still on, and I wished for one earlier this season when Pushing Daisies was threatened with cancellation.
(And just for the record, I love 30 Rock. Jack's version of the Lord's Prayer in the Valentine's Day episode had me laughing for days.)
Yes! Frasier. . .and a "sleeper" comedy that has Dad and me absolutely rolling on the floor with laughter--Big Bang Theory. Cliche aside, it's true. Dad records it for me every Monday night when I have choir. And could you mention The Closer, too? That would be nice. I promise I won't make any more requests.
Ah, The Big Bang Theory. I do rather heart that show.
I don't know how long your diary lasts, but My Boys comes back at the end of March. I enjoy that one as well. I don't think some of the cable shows get as much love as they probably should.
Does anyone out there have HBO and watch Big Love? The only people I know who watch Big Love are the people like myself who don't have HBO and watch it on DVD.
Hello There..I'm linking through Anti-Supermom (Beth). So, does that work out to 3 cents/hour. It does sound fun, though.
How low-rent is Nielsen??? I thought they just install something on your TV that monitors it automatically. You have to do it by hand??? That alone skews the results, because it will make you want to watch much less TV than normal. Which, I guess is a good thing.
PS - didn't 30Rock win, like, EVERY award this year? It's not going anywhere.
Post a Comment