Sunday, June 7, 2009

Crime, Punishment and Typos

Matt and I visited the National Museum of Crime and Punishment in D.C. last night. We've done the Smithsonian thing dozens of times, so we're branching out into the lesser-known museums. This particular museum is offering $6 tickets for local residents this summer. It was worth $6, but I wouldn't suggest paying the everyday price of nearly $20.

While the museum was light on actual artifacts, it was heavy on cheesy photo opportunities:


My personal highlight of the museum was the opportunity it provided for some classic Matt one-liners:

"I think I could live in jail. Think of all the reading you'd get done. Do prisoners have access to the Internet?"

"I could be in the mob. I wouldn't be one of the killers though. I'd be the brains behind the operation."

Unfortunately, my overall enjoyment of the museum was marred by the overwhelming amount of typos and grammatical errors. Some, such as commas outside quotation marks and misplaced hypens, were mildly irritating, but others, such as misspellings, flubbed punctuation and missing words, were inexcusable for a national museum. Because nearly every sign had at least one error (sadly, that's not hyperbole), these are just a few of the worst errors:

Bonnie, of Bonnie and Clyde, was like Shirley Temple, not Shirley temple.

How closed quotation marks became a capital O with an accent is beyond me.

We both had to read this middle paragraph three times to understand it.

I don't think that's a question?

Spell check doesn't catch everything, and I doubt Nick Nolte was locked up because of his car's potty mouth.

5 comments:

carolmom said...

It's too bad you didn't have a giant red pen. You could have had a field day. Was any sign sans an egregious error? And I, too, want to hear a potty mouth car!

carolmom said...

I just had a thought. You need to keep all these pictures, put them into a book, and publish them. I'm sure colleges and universities would make it required reading! :-)

Anna said...

Yikes. Even I'm appalled by all those mistakes.

carolmom said...

Gladsome news! Dad and I went to Millie's Deli for lunch today and the sign said, "Turkey sandwich EVERY DAY." Yes, two words! I thanked the proprietor profusely, and she asked, "Are you an English teacher?" I answered, "Oh, yes!" She smiled.

Rebecca said...

Holy crappo. They should use some of that admission money to hire a smart person.