Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Don't forget to eat

I once heard a seasoned veteran tell a new teacher, "Don't forget to eat." I thought she was crazy. When you're hungry, you eat. What's to remember? Plenty.

The hardest part of these first few days of school has been getting back into my "teacher timing." Not with my classes and my students, but with myself. I teach four periods in a row, which means I'm trapped in my room for nearly four hours. The "good" drinking fountain and faculty bathroom are both on the other side of the school, so if I need to use them (and, not surprisingly, I usually need to use both), I have to leave myself at least 6 minutes (also known as 1 minute longer than passing time). Yesterday, I forgot to fill up my water bottle, so I was dehydrated by the end of the four hours. Today, I forgot to visit the restroom. And the less said about my unfortunate choice of a Fiber One bar for breakfast, the better.

2 comments:

carolmom said...

Poor baby. I am so sorry. That is one of the hardest things about returning after summer. People have no idea how hard some of these things are from a teacher's perspective. It's not like you can just leave your class and say, "I'll be back in five."

Rebecca said...

Wow. I hadn't ever thought of that before. And by "that" I mean you, fiber, and no bathroom.