This may seem strange to those who don't know me, but I have always been a fan of completing paperwork. Forms at the doctor's office are my favorites, since they're usually so long. My type-A personality takes great comfort in a well-completed form.
Today, our form for the 2010 Census arrived in the mail. I ripped open the envelope eagerly and dug into this most important of all forms. I completed the first section quickly and moved on to information about Matt and me. After that was completed, I turned it over, remembering all the other questions I got to answer back in 2000. Sadly, they were nowhere to be found. I shared with Matt my disappointment; he reminded me that I'm insane.
I don't know who thought this "10 Questions in 10 Minutes" thing was a good idea, but I can't believe they're getting all the statistical data they need. They should offer "Honors Census-form Filling" for those of us who crave just a little more.
5 comments:
Rachel! I never knew this about you! Until now, I thought I was the only person who loves filling out forms! I've even been known to fill out a survey just for the fun of it, knowing full well I would never bother to send it in. :) I think part of the reason is that usually forms ask very basic information, the kinds of questions I don't have to use too much brain power to answer. I've been wondering where our census will be sent since we move in ten days. Perhaps I should offer to fill out the form that comes in my in-laws' name. :)
I'd never filled out a census form before (I was still living at home ten years ago), but the minimalist approach to information-gathering surprised me. Historian Abbi wants to know how much future historians are really going to get out of looking at the 2010 census. Sys Admin Mike, however, wants to know why there's not an option to fill out the census form online.
BTW, I'm sure there's anguish over the census in your area too, but here are some local people (a lot of clergy, actually) who are criticizing the census and its suburban emphasis: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/religion/story/3B7B60C30E95B243862576EA000B9654?OpenDocument
I completely get this. I love the doctor's office forms, too. I also got really, really, really excited about the census form and all the question-answering possibilities, and like you, I was let down by how little information I needed to fill out. I wished I had a more diverse racial background so I could have checked some of those other boxes.
Awesoome!!!
Post a Comment