Saturday, October 30, 2010

Stapling the Bulletins



At the end of last summer, one of our pastors--and someone I'm lucky enough to call a dear friend--left her position as Assistant Pastor of our church to become the lone pastor of her own church.  Kristin's departure made for a rough summer, and I remember crying for most of the week (okay, month) before she left.  People reminded me that she wasn't dying or even moving to a different area code, but it was a rough road nonetheless.

Soon after she left, I visisted her at her new church.  When I got there, she and her secretary were having a discussion about whether or not to staple the bulletins for Sunday morning.  "Should they be stapled?" Kristin asked.  "I just don't know.  Are they usually stapled?  Would you want a stapled bulletin?"  This went on for a while until Kristin asked the secretary how it's usually done.  Apparently, they usually weren't stapled.  So they left it at that.  No staples.

Last weekend, Matt and I drove out to Westminster for Kristin's installation as the new pastor of her very lucky church.  Once again, I found myself crying.  But this time, I wasn't sobbing or feeling sorry for a loss.  I was smiling.  She was so at home, so comfortable.  And while I'm still sad that I don't get to see my friend every week, I'm happier to see her so fulfilled and content where she obviously needs to be.

And at her installation, the bulletins were stapled.

2 comments:

PK said...

So RS I love you so much! Thanks for my "amazing people" section blog! Funny part about that - We have not been stapling them for Sunday morning, but I thought they definitely needed to be stapled for the installation because there were so many pages. (ok, actually no one will think that is funny besides you.) You are the best & I've learned so much about grammar from you (probably not evident in this response).

Rachel said...

I love you more, PK! You are definitely one of my "amazing people."