Friday, November 19, 2010

Grammar Violations

I've had several requests to share with readers the weekly grammar violations I teach my students.  No, really.  People have asked.  Real people!  Most of the violations we cover in the first couple months of the school year are my biggest pet peeves.  They're also some of the ones I already wrote about in a guest post at The Marketing Mama.

But there are others.  Oh, there are so many others.

I'm going to begin by tackling the difference between then and than.  Then is used when discussing sequence, and than is used when discussing preference.  For example:

I came, I saw, then I conquered.

I would rather study grammar than anything else.

3 comments:

Dad said...

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have dozed off for a minute.

carolmom said...

You go, GIRL! Don't let those lazy louts get away with such silly stuff. Proud of you, my dear!

Rachel said...

Dad, that's a pretty bold comment from the man who took his young children to Civil War battlefields instead of Disney World.

And thanks, Mom. Gosh... :)