Sunday, September 7, 2008

Any Given Sunday

No, it's not just a movie with foul language and full-frontal male nudity. It never ceases to amaze me how crazy, out-of-the-ordinary things are completely commonplace in Baltimore. For example, I saw these things just this morning:
  • A stylish gentleman in a three-piece lavender suit, complete with a plaid jacket. Rebecca tells me that plaid is the new black.
  • Pirates swinging from the mast of a pirate ship in the Inner Harbor. I wasn't bothered until a few of the children tried to spray me with Harbor water. They find dead bodies in that water, you know.
  • A fabulously flamboyant gay man who insisted that I take 20% off my entire Barnes and Noble purchase, because my APA stylebook was "way too expensive." He scanned it and said, "Oh, no way. Are you serious? That much? For this? No way am I letting you pay that." Jill always says that I'm a gay man trapped in a straight woman's body, so he must have sensed a kindrid spirit.
  • A rather large woman with a t-shirt that read, "I used to skinny dip. Now I chunky dunk."
Just another Sunday in Baltimore.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple Sundays ago, Kris and I stopped at the Mallard to get some champagne (don't ask), and a man in a suit coming straight from church was selling bottles of body wash on the sidewalk for a buck.

Rachel said...

I think I will ask. What were you and Kris doing drinking champagne at the Mallard on a Sunday morning?

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

Thanks for your recent comment on my award. It is always fun to see you on my blog.

I was just in your neck of the woods. We drove through Maryland from Pennsylvania on our way to Virginia. I had wanted to stop in Baltimore. I hear they have a phenomenal children's museum. But, we were short on time.

Sounds like you are having a fabulous Sunday! I love people watching--not yucky water--but people watching for sure!

Anonymous said...

This really makes me want to spend more time in Baltimore!

Marketing Mama said...

Maybe it's not the city, maybe it's you that's attracting these strange, exciting happenings?

Rachel said...

I wish! I'd love to be able to take credit for the wackiness that is Baltimore. If Minneapolis becomes equally strange if/when Matt and I move back, then we'll talk. :)

Rebecca said...

You get caught up in gaydar? Wow.

I've seen that chunky dunk quote before. Love it.

Anonymous said...

If you're a gay man trapped in a woman's body, does that make Matt gay too?

Rachel said...

Leave it to you, Nick, to take it there.