Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vigilante grammar


This time last year, I heard of two men living my dream: Jeff Deck and Benjamin Herson were driving around the country, fixing grammatical errors on public signage. Just last week, while Rebecca and I were shopping, I removed a sign from a plastic holder at a register and corrected it. I always keep a pen in my purse for just such an occasion.

So, I was disheartened and saddened to learn that two of my own got in some trouble for their efforts to rid the world of misplaced commas and misspelled words. Granted, the sign they corrected did have some historical merit, but it was still wrong, and it should have been changed. I don't agree with the manner in which they approached this particular error, but I continue to support their efforts, if and when they resume.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! Why must we see error after error after error egregiously posted for the world to see? And nary a person speaks up? Yet, ironically, so many persons lament the improper use of language and grammar and refuse to correct it. Sigh! The fight continues. . . . ad infinitum (?)

Rebecca said...

The lady at Macy's who saw you correct that sign was totally confused. I don't think she got it.

What do you think about changing the grammar of historical pieces like the one at the Grand Canyon? When is a correction needed, and when should it be left because the error adds to the value of the piece?

Rachel said...

The lady at Macy's was a dunderhead.

Personally, I wouldn't have done what these guys did to that historic sign. But I would have said something to the ranger or park officials about it. The real problem is that no one spoke up before the sign became "historic."