Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mr. President

On Tuesday, I drove to Pittsburgh to spend my birthday and this historic election day with Jessica, my birthday and election partner. As the clock in the bar ticked down to 11:00 p.m. Eastern time, we all counted down the seconds with the anticipation of New Year's Eve, Superbowl Sunday, two birthdays and an election, all rolled in to one. Fighting back tears, Jessica and I held each other until we realized we didn't have to hold back the tears. I looked around, and we weren't the only ones crying--far from it. Strangers were hugging, crying and holding each other. I bawled my way through his acceptance speech:



After the speech, I went out into the street and saw people pouring from the surrounding houses. One woman ran down the street, yelling, "I can't be alone! I have to hug someone!" I shouted back, "I'll hug you!" and we stood together, hugging, crying, celebrating, rejoicing. When I went back inside, the bartenders were giving away free drinks, which Jessica and I gladly accepted (purely in the spirit of the celebratory and momentous occasion, of course):

I first came in contact with President-elect Obama over three years ago when I was still working on Capitol Hill. I went to a Veterans' Affairs subcommittee hearing on veterans' employment issues. I was one of maybe six staffers and visitors in attendance. The meeting was like any other until the Chair recognized the Junior Senator from Illinois. Senator Obama leaned forward to speak, and he had the room in his hand with his first words. "How can we be talking about employing veterans," he asked, "when there are thousands of homeless veterans in my home state of Illinois alone?" He continued to speak with such passion and such clarity, that I thought it was a shame there were only six of us there to hear it. I also remember thinking that, because there were only six of us there, he must really must believe what he's saying. This isn't an act; this isn't political posturing. This guy really believes what he's saying.

I saw an interview with Colin Powell yesterday that helped bring everything full-circle for me, especially this quote: "President-elect Obama did not put himself forward as an African American president. He put himself forward as an American who happened to be black--who happened to be African American. And that ought to come after the title."

Of course, yesterday's Doonsbury hit the mark pretty well, too:
Here's to President-elect Obama, a great leader who happens to be black...and white.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It's a long, long road. I don't think the enormity of everything has hit. I haven't shed a tear and yet I am incredibly, incredibly overwhelmed. I am SO glad you went to spend the day with Jessica. It was more than appropriate after all these years! Now we have to really get down to work!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what comments was deleted? Maybe we haven't come so far afterall, if our freedoms of speech are being censored. Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

(Comment...not comments).

Rachel said...

As always, one person's Constitutional rights end where another's begin. That first comment infringed on my rights, and it was deleted.

(FYI: it was also spam.)

Anna said...

I also have not shed a tear...I think I'm still stunned. 8 years of disappointing elections have made me a skeptic and I no longer emotionally invest myself in the races.
Deep down, I'm afraid this victory is going to be taken away somehow - even though I know it can't be.

Rebecca said...

I hear you, Anna. We've had some very personal investment in elections, and I've become numb to them since. I have held back on this one in fear, although this is the closest I've come in six years to feeling hopeful about a candidate with integrity and charisma like someone we knew so well...

Rachel, I've told you about the first time Andrew and I heard Obama speak. My non-political husband left that event 2 1/2 years ago saying, "Who IS that guy, and why isn't he running for President!?"

Anonymous said...

Pittsburgh was such a good place to be when he won! ;-)