Why vote today? Although there's really no excuse not to (as evidenced by the woman with the cast in a wheelchair at my polling place this morning), here's a brief, albeit not exhaustive, list:1. Because 90 years ago, a person like me couldn't vote.
2. Because I was the minority at my polling place this morning. Not since my mom and I stumbled into the NAACP convention in Minneapolis have I felt so outnumbered.
3. Because of the 50-year-old black man I met waiting in line to vote for two hours this morning who said, "I finally have someone to vote for."
4. Because all the 18-year-old girls going to vote for the first time will see the name "Sarah" on a major ticket instead of "Dick" or "George."
5. Because 151 years ago, a black man wasn't even a person, and in a few hours, he may be the person.
6. Because I will ask for nothing else for my birthday if you spend a few minutes at the polls today.
7. Because if you don't, you have to sit down and shut up for the next four years.
Why will you vote today?
Edit to #5 at 1:30 a.m. Eastern time: He is the person. Eat your heart out, Supreme Court of 1857!
7 comments:
Happy Birthday (and I voted)!
I can't believe the lines! Yingfah waited in line to vote in the uptown area for 1 1/2 hours this morning! Crazy, but awesome.
I really wish I was in Michelle Bachmann's district...that Tinklenburg dude (or whatever his name is) needs to oust her.
If this lady can take the time to vote, so can you. (everyone you, not you specifically.) http://doulamomma.blogspot.com/2008/11/no-excuses.html
After a 16-hour stint as an election judge, I am almost tired. It's hard to come down after a day like this! I never knew we had so many African Americans in Chanhassen! I got to talk to one man, and we both agreed that we never, NEVER believed this would happen in our lifetimes. Now we just have to keep them coming back!
well happy b-day to you!!! :)YAY FOR A NEW FUTURE!!
I felt especially American voting yesterday. While I always vote, it's been a long, long time since I was excited about it!
Oh, and Maria, I, too, was a doula with a laboring mom yesterday. She had the foresight to vote ahead of time. The father left the hospital at 8am to go vote. The mother insisted - it was great. They let me leave a few hours later to drive an hour to my polling site to vote, too! (I knew I should have voted early... I know better.)
Post a Comment