Sunday, January 11, 2009

Christmas with the Bergs, Hedlunds, Petersons...

Here it is, mid-January, and I'm still writing about Christmas. I'm either overwhelmingly busy educating the youth of Baltimore County, or I'm channeling Tiny Tim: "I will honor Christmas in my heart and try to keep it all the year." I prefer the latter.

After a few days with Matt's family, we drove across town to spend a few days with mine. It was wonderful to be able to see both our families at Christmastime without having to travel back to 2-degree Minnesota! Thankfully, I thought to take my camera out on this side of town.

Like our time with Matt's family, we spent hours relaxing, eating and loving. Trips like this make it really hard to live thousands of miles away from our immediate families. Thankfully, we made the very most of the time we did have together.

Matt and my uncle and cousins went skiing (thanks for the photos, Rob! I was most definitely not on the top of that mountain):

My mom and I did a fair amount of drinking (yes, we shared):

We all did a ridiculous amount of eating:

And my cousin, Rob, taught me the neatest game with our digital camera (he's had a lot more practice than I have):

Aside from our copious hours of lounging around and gorging ourselves, we obviously spent a good part of our time in Colorado laughing and laughing...and laughing. It helps that we also spent most of our time with people under the age of 13. They just make life that much more enjoyable:

Thank you to all the family who welcomed us so warmly over the holidays! Our Maryland door is always open.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Multiple comments:

1) Is that Santa in your family picture? Oh, wait, that's Fred.

2) I love having champagne with the Berg ladies, too.

3) How in the world did you and Rob take those photos? Do share. I know two little kids who would get hours of laughter out of that - Andrew and me. (Where you thinking I'd say Bel and Frank?)

Anna said...

That picture of you is priceless Rachie! You have to share the trick with us.

Rachel said...

It's so easy! You know how your lips sometimes flutter a bit when you have a deep sigh and an exacerbated exhale? Just point your digital camera at yourself, exaggerate the exacerbated exhale, make your eyes goofy and take a picture. It took me several tries, and I wasn't close to reaching Rob's level of success. I guess, like any skill, it takes practice.

Anonymous said...

*sigh* This summer!!! :D