Friday, February 6, 2009

I heart(ed) Mall Cop

During our unexpected mid-week vacation last week, Matt and I saw Kevin James' new movie, Mall Cop. We loved The King of Queens, we love Kevin James, and we laughed all through this movie.

After we saw the movie, I read a really bad review of the film in the Post. Here's the kicker: "Bottom line: If I were home sick and came across 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' on cable, then discovered that the remote was wayyy on the other side of the room, I could lie on the couch and watch the entire thing without being unhappy. But under normal circumstances, when there are so many other films to see, why bother?"

I'll tell you why you should bother, Ms. self-righteous-reviewer Jen Chaney. Because there's nothing wrong with a clean, goofy movie that just makes you laugh. Because when the world is sucky, movies like Grand Torino, Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button can be real downers. Because when things are rough, watching a fat security officer somersault through a mall is a wonderful remedy for the world which ails us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should send that in to the Post. (Sorry, I don't know how to do italics!) Some times call for a good, old-fashioned belly laugh. Snobby movie reviewers get to me. If it's not "arty," it's no good. I think most of them even pan Disney movies! :)

amt317 said...

You have Roger Ebert on your side: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090114/REVIEWS/901149986

I would have appreciated the Post reviewer offering up an example of a movie she thinks you should see instead of Paul Blart: Mall Cop. I don't know if there are any movies out right now that are both funny and critical darlings, but if she's got them in her back pocket, she should share.

Anonymous said...

I neglected to add one significant comment. In the thirties, Hollywood produced all those wonderful musical comedies. I wonder why? Perhaps it allowed people to escape--if only for a few hours--the reality of the world outside. So, my dear, your thoughts followed those of the Hollywood moguls of yesteryear. Good work!

Anonymous said...

I tell ya...you have convinced me to go see this movie! I think you have a new career ahead of you. Forget that whole teaching thing!! :)