Sunday, April 19, 2009

Going dark on Earth Day

Matt and I, along with thousands of other people around the world, observed Earth Hour last month. We enjoyed the gesture (not to mention the peace and quiet) so much, that we've decided to make our home an electricity-free zone for all of Earth Day: no lights, to television or radio, no computers and--to the degree possible--no appliances. We're unplugging (not just turning off, since that still sucks electricity) nearly everything in the house that requires energy. We're going to grill dinner outside and eat lots of ready-to-eat, locally grown fruits and vegetables. We're going to play cards by candlelight instead of zoning out in front of the TV.

It's this last part of our Earth Day celebration that I'm especially looking forward to. Focusing on something bigger than ourselves always seems to bring Matt and me closer together as a family. It seems especially appropriate that we do this on Earth Day, as we work to preserve the Earth for our children and their children and ten generations of children.

2 comments:

carolmom said...

I am proud of you both. Perhaps we can do that, too. Do you think we can?

Rebecca said...

How did it go? Did you go crazy looking at each other and resort to staring at the screens again?

I doubt it. I bet you two had a blast!