Friday, August 7, 2009

Vegas Highlights 1: bumped and the vault

Matt and I were in Las Vegas last weekend, he for a conference and I for reading and lounging by the pool. Our flight was overbooked on the way there, so we volunteered to be bumped. We were up several hundred dollars before we even left for Vegas (the money came in the form of Southwest Airlines travel credits instead of chips, but still).

But the trip's highlight was being able to spend time with one of Matt's mom's best friends. Georganne took us to Red Square, a Russian-themed restaurant in Mandalay Bay. We spent some time before dinner in the private "vodka vault" where we drank some delicious Russian vodka while wearing (fake) fur coats. Matt and I tasted caviar for the first time and learned how to eat it properly. After thawing out and sampling the caviar, our table (okay, Matt and I) polished off much of the bottle of vodka that we sampled in the vault. I'll post more later on the inevitable ridiculous walk home that followed.

More than anything, Matt and I were grateful to be able to spend time with such good friends nearly 2,500 miles from home. Thank you for a wonderful evening, Georganne!

The samples in the icy vault:

"Just chillin'" in the vodka vault:

It was 20 degrees in there (note the ice on the floor). These shoes worked with my outfit, but they were not vault appropriate:

Matt, on the other hand, felt quite at home in Stalin's lair:

5 comments:

carolmom said...

I love your hat. It works well--especially with your earrings. How couture. I would have loved a sample. The no hangover part is the best, though! :-)

Anti-Supermom said...

I believe I saw this on CBS Sunday Morning (I know - I'm so cool). I'd love to go, thanks for the tip on what *not* to wear.

Rebecca said...

Was it Silver Wolf vodka?

Rachel said...

The label was in Russian. I don't think it was Silver Wolf.

Peter Ross said...

I like all your snaps. Each picture represents winter feeling. I like Russian vodka but my favorite is Lotus Vodka. Lotus comes in two varieties: White Lotus is the "original" blend with warm, fruity notes and Blue Lotus has a kick of caffeine that seems so popular in vodkas as of late.As the symbolism of the lotus logo suggests, it is an all-around feel good vodka.A warm and inviting aroma of subtle citrus and herbs opens the White Lotus experience. This leads to a silky, semi-dry vodka with clean, rich and warm flavors that mimic the fragrance.I like to enjoy my drink with Cuban Cigars.So you completely enjoyed your holidays.