Growing up, I remember my parents saying that school schedules revolved around "busses and lunches." Every time one or the other would disrupt an otherwise-normal school day, one of them would say with a harumph, "Busses and Lunches." I always thought they were ridiculous.
Once again, I've been proven wrong. There's a massive snowstorm headed for Baltimore tomorrow. It's supposed to roll in around the middle of the day, dropping a foot or more. I've heard that our school system may close preemptively. Why close schools before a flake even appears? Why not wait until the snow comes? Naturally, "busses and lunches."
Apparently, once students are in the building, we're legally obligated to provide them lunch. Our last lunch shift doesn't end until 45 minutes before the end of the day. It's easier to close schools for an entire day than worry about how to feed (or not feed) 1800 people. Lunches.
And if you want to close a high school early, you have to wait until the busses can return from picking up and depositing all the elementary school children. In a school system as large as ours, there may not be time to coordinate all the pick-ups and drop-offs before the snow really gets heavy. Busses.
As of this posting, school is on as scheduled. Stay tuned.
Update: As of 5:00 Friday morning, schools are closing two hours early. Let's see how well they turn this huge cruise ship around!
6 comments:
[pulls out AP Styleguide] Buses shuttle children to and from school. Busses are kisses.
I'm a jerk. (I liked your story, though.)
Don't worry, I glared at the person who posted the last comment.
Don't worry, I glared at the person who posted the last comment.
From anyone else, I may be offended. Not Abbi.
Once a copy editor, always a copy editor, right? :) Let's just say I'm not using AP style here.
I read a story in the Washington Post last week that referred to a soldier's "boats" instead of his "boots." They could've used your help.
Busses/Buses and lunches seem to dictate our schedule, too! By "our" I mean our family's. It's all about getting out the door at the perfect time - not too early that you are freezing at the stop but not too late that you miss the bus. Lunches? When you have Bel's appetite, it takes a LOT of planning to figure out what the heck to feed the kid on fajita days. She HATES fajitas and needs to bring a lunch if the cafeteria is serving fajitas. Don't even get me started on the annoyance that it is to monitor the menu every week for that dreaded upcoming fajita day...
Ha HA! Did I not tell you about busses and lunches? Thank you for allowing us a minute of gloating and big smiles. Ah, yes. It's all coming back. The more things change. . . .
Post a Comment