Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pearls of Teenage Wisdom

About a half hour after first period began one day this week, I heard a knock at the door.  There stood a student, earphones in ears and iPod blaring so loudly I could hear the poser gangster rap he was listening to. All electronics--cell phones, iPods, you name it--aren't allowed in school.  We're supposed to confiscate the devices when students are caught texting, covertly listening to music, etc.  I'm a big fan of this rule.

Me: "Thanks for joining us.  And thanks for the iPod."

Student: "But I just got here."

Me: "True.  But the rest of us have been here for a while already."

Student: "Can't I have a warning?"

Me: "You're a sophomore.  You've had a year to be forewarned."

Student: "But my mom is going to crucify me."

Me: "You should've thought of that."

Student: "But I didn't!"

Another student, under his breath: "What an idiot."

No comments: