Intercourse, Pennsylvania, that is.

My parents were visiting this last week, and we took a few day trips together. Matt and I have lived out here for nearly three years, and I think we did more traveling and sightseeing in the week my parents were here than in the three years since we moved here.
One of our trips was to Intercourse, Pennsylvania. The town used to be called Cross Keys, but they renamed it. Go figure. During our trip, we also drove through towns called Bird-in-hand and Blue Balls. Crazy Pennsylvanians. And I thought the Minnesota towns named Fertile and Climax were bad. Just to prove that we didn't just make this up...
You can "Mount Hope" in Intercourse:

Or play with some jugs...

After a brief stint in Intercourse, we headed further into Amish Country. We visited an Amish furniture store with some very unique merchandise:

And my mom took us on a side trip to Ephrata, Pennsylvania, where she found more Amish crafts and made a fabulous fashion statement:

Blue is definitely her color. During our time in Ephrata, we visited the "Ephrata Cloister," home to a group of people who were celibate. They had some beautiful surroundings, but must have had one heck of a frustrating existence.


Big surprise...their population died out. Beautiful irony...their celibate commune was located just outside the town of Intercourse.
4 comments:
Seriously, Intercourse and Blue Balls beats out Climax and Fertile. Was there any history on the name change? I wonder why they would do it...
Celibate by Intercourse? Unfortunate. The celibate population died out? How is that possible? Oh, wait...
I can't decide what I loved best about this post. It was all so good. But, if I had to choose, it would probably be your dad in the adult-sized high chair. What is the purpose of that chair!?
My oh my...I knew there was something weird about dad all along...that just confirms it!
Celebate near Intercourse. LOL! Your dad in that high chair... priceless! I need one of those chairs.
Post a Comment