Monday, November 3, 2008

Best birthday present ever

My birthday isn't until tomorrow, but Matty surprised me this weekend with my present.

We took this photo just before we left. Matt wouldn't tell me where we were going. Oh, the anticipation!
I knew we were going somewhere in D.C., but that was it. I found out that we had a reservation for "between 7 and 8," which confused me even more. I thought we were going to a play or dinner theater, but no. What a great surprise when we pulled into a parking lot and saw this enormous boat:
We spent the rest of the evening sailing down the Potomac River, seeing all the monuments and other attractions from the water. I've seen these buildings hundreds (maybe even thousands) of times, but I'd never seen them from this angle, and they've never looked so beautiful:
Matt and I stuffed ourselves silly with the ship's wonderful food. After our final course, Matt had had enough. "Stick a fork in me. I'm done," he said:
The ship had a dance floor, too, so we boogied the night away after dinner. I've never considered myself a great dancer, but I do like to think I have a fair amount of rhythm. That was all put to rest when several African American couples started dancing by us. My worst suspicions were confirmed: I suck.

At one point in the evening, the band announced all the birthdays on board and asked the whole ship to sing to us. I think Matty was the only one who sang "...to Rachie," but he was the only one I was listening to.

Hundreds of people may have been singing, but nothing says "happy birthday" like a candle in some flan:
...not to mention, spending an evening out with your very favorite person:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH! I cried. Matty is so sweet. What an incredible night. You are really lucky.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rebecca said...

What a great birthday gift! I love that you got to see all the monuments lit up at night. What a perfect gift for a nerd like you: significant historical monuments, romance, food, and dancing all in one.

amt317 said...

Happy birthday, Rachel! (You are beautiful in the pictures, btw... not that you aren't always beautiful... darn, I got myself into a corner here worse than a man...)

At the risk of sounding cheesy, I hope our country gives you an even better present by the end of the day. :-D

Anonymous said...

AWWW....that's so cheesy and nice of Matt :) You should have Matt teach Colin a few things! :D

Rachel said...

Poor Colin! Give him a few years. :)