Most women have one great love affair. I have two.
Friday, December 5, 2008
Morphing presidents
One of my nuns sent me this video today. History geek that I am, I think it's great.
10 comments:
Anonymous
said...
REALLY COOL! And I realized how many were totally and completely insignificant and/or contributed nothing to the history of this country. Of course, no. 43 almost destroyed it. That is a mark in history, too!
Drastic change? Really? A male still won, and the guy who had the most money still won. It is a refreshing change, and I hope there is more to come in the next 4 years, but, at least so far, it's still "money still talks."
Yes, Rebecca, it is a drastic change. It's nice to see a younger person (who didn't live through the sixties) recognize what a change it truly is! Bless you!
Austin, I'm telling myself that you said that just to get a rise out of people. I don't know how anyone who knows anything about history in this country can't be amazed that we've elected a black president. The fact that a bunch of rich white people made a guy with a goofy name the dude with all the money is pretty amazing.
This conversation reminds me of one of my favorite Winston Churchill quotes: "Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
Who ever said I'm not amazed? I admit, I do like to get a rise out of you, because it's so damn easy (like when Kris and I were dishing you McCain comments.) I realize it's a big change, and hugely positive one, but I would argue that it would be a MUCH BIGGER change if someone from a 3rd party won the election...even if it was a rich white guy.
Not everyone recognizes race on a daily basis, or places it as an important factor in judging someone. (Some would argue that this itself is racism.) But everyone in the country has to abide by the two-party system that has resulted in choosing the lesser of two evils every 4 years. Although, I can happily say that choosing Obama was for once not choosing an evil.
I am less stunned by America choosing "a black guy" than I am by America choosing someone with great policies like his, when this is the same embarrassing country who elected Bush not once, but TWICE! People need to stop seeing the drastic change in respect to race, but rather in respect to how far our country's mindset has changed in a mere 8 years.
I just don't think those things are all mutually exclusive. I was talking with a friend today (who happens to be black) about how we're more proud of Obama's policies than the color of his skin. As you pointed out, we're no longer embarrassed to be from this country.
On the same token, we as a country looked more at the content of the man's character than at the color of his skin, which again brings us back to the immortal words of Dr. King. There's just no getting away from it, and there shouldn't have to be.
10 comments:
REALLY COOL! And I realized how many were totally and completely insignificant and/or contributed nothing to the history of this country. Of course, no. 43 almost destroyed it. That is a mark in history, too!
Personally, I had a moment of silence for good old William Henry Harrison.
The OTHER president whose birthday is in February! (The 9th, I believe)
Such a drastic change for #44. Black. First generation African-American. Non-European name. Wow! It was tough to morph his photo in from W, huh?
Drastic change? Really? A male still won, and the guy who had the most money still won. It is a refreshing change, and I hope there is more to come in the next 4 years, but, at least so far, it's still "money still talks."
Yes, Rebecca, it is a drastic change. It's nice to see a younger person (who didn't live through the sixties) recognize what a change it truly is! Bless you!
Austin, I'm telling myself that you said that just to get a rise out of people. I don't know how anyone who knows anything about history in this country can't be amazed that we've elected a black president. The fact that a bunch of rich white people made a guy with a goofy name the dude with all the money is pretty amazing.
This conversation reminds me of one of my favorite Winston Churchill quotes:
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
and p.s. Even Hillary Clinton looks more like George Bush than Barack Obama does.
Who ever said I'm not amazed?
I admit, I do like to get a rise out of you, because it's so damn easy (like when Kris and I were dishing you McCain comments.) I realize it's a big change, and hugely positive one, but I would argue that it would be a MUCH BIGGER change if someone from a 3rd party won the election...even if it was a rich white guy.
Not everyone recognizes race on a daily basis, or places it as an important factor in judging someone. (Some would argue that this itself is racism.) But everyone in the country has to abide by the two-party system that has resulted in choosing the lesser of two evils every 4 years. Although, I can happily say that choosing Obama was for once not choosing an evil.
I am less stunned by America choosing "a black guy" than I am by America choosing someone with great policies like his, when this is the same embarrassing country who elected Bush not once, but TWICE! People need to stop seeing the drastic change in respect to race, but rather in respect to how far our country's mindset has changed in a mere 8 years.
I just don't think those things are all mutually exclusive. I was talking with a friend today (who happens to be black) about how we're more proud of Obama's policies than the color of his skin. As you pointed out, we're no longer embarrassed to be from this country.
On the same token, we as a country looked more at the content of the man's character than at the color of his skin, which again brings us back to the immortal words of Dr. King. There's just no getting away from it, and there shouldn't have to be.
Post a Comment