Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas with the Scherers

I'm absolutely kicking myself that we didn't take out our camera during our few days with Matt's side of the family in Colorado. Still, we had an absolutely wonderful time. Thank goodness for these obligatory 1,000 words (give or take) to take the place of said picture.

We waited over an hour for our bags (state-of-the-art luggage system at the Denver airport, my foot), but Matt's dad waited ever-so-patiently with us. It was just so good to see him again, I think I could've been standing outside on a January day in Minnesota and been happy.

We spent the rest of our time with the Scherers split between his brother's house and various local shopping centers. We saw a mall, we saw an outlet center, we saw what was probably the world's biggest liquor store ever. It had a mountain of Busch Light in the back. I mean, a literal mountain. Someone should tap those Rockies, if you know what I mean.

The thing I love most about any time we have with Matt's family is the way we all laugh and laugh and laugh...and then laugh a little more. We played some stupid little game (A to Z...think Cathphrase meets Taboo or Scattergories), but it made us laugh for hours. Matt obviously grew up in a house with a lot of laughter, which means the world to me. Thank you, Cathy and David!

Even more importantly, every time I'm with the Scherers, I marvel at how deeply they love each other. I can feel the love they have for me, too, and I know I'm just about the luckiest daughter-in-law/sister-in-law ever.

I'll write more soon on the second half of our vacation: Christmas across town with the Petersons, Hedlunds and Bergs.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sounds wonderful, Rachel. I'm glad you didn't have your camera, because your words created an image of warmth that no photo could capture.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Dido. Did you note what Rebecca wrote about your writing? It's not just Mom who says that!!

Anna said...

It's wonderful to have such kind, loving and fun in-laws.
And I agree with Feyds about your writing...