Monday, August 17, 2009

The Kingdom's Big Enough for You... and you, and you, and....

One of the things I love about public education (and there are several things I love about public education) is that it teaches children to be tolerant. Will everyone at school see the world as you do? Absolutely not. Do you need to learn how to interact respectfully with those people in order to get through high school, not to mention life? Absolutely.

Our church, the ELCA, is holding its annual Churchwide Assembly this week. Among the several issues attendees are grappling with is the consideration of the church's statement on human sexuality. Regardless of all the personal biases and prejudices floating through that Assembly, I hope all attendees keep an open mind. I think this is why I've had this Lost and Found song in my head this week:

"The Kingdom"
© 2001, LOST AND FOUND AND LIMB RECORDS

The Kingdom's big enough for you
You were made to be here, too
The Kingdom's big enough for you
Where you are,
As you are.

So many people pushed away
Ones are loved told they can't stay
The question's what would Jesus say?

Chorus

God's own people close the door
The loud and angry take the floor
We know what you fear
But what are you for?
Furthermore...

Chorus

The idea that one person or group of people have the inside track to salvation has always bothered me. The eventual elitism that comes from this "us, not them" religion is especially bothersome. For example, I was in a Christian book store just today, buying some materials for my work with the high school kids at our church. The cashier asked if I'd like to buy a Bible to send to the troops. I politely declined, but he just kept pushing. Finally, he asked, "So, have you sent anything to the troops yet?" In his eyes, I wasn't as good a Christian as he is. I probably wasn't as good of a person either.

Churches that preach intolerance or individuals who sit in judgment of others because of perceptions (or misperceptions) do very little to encourage others to look for spirituality in their own lives. Why go to church if you're going to be judged? Why join a church if it collectively supports segregation? Those who live the public school model of accepting and loving our differences, however, help create a community of believers that try to live by Jesus' example instead of just talking about it.

4 comments:

carolmom said...

A M E N and A M E N!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it any better babe! It's funny how this all happened after our discussion today. If only we could get these "Christians" to open their minds to what true Christianity is all about.

Dad said...

Anonymous is me, but youprobably already figured that out.

Dad

amt317 said...

It's like the Christians and the pagans at Christmas dinner. You don't have to agree on everything to share a meal. Or the world. Ahem.