Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Curling Craziness

In what appears to be a never-ending stream of Scandinavian influence on American culture, curling frenzy is sweeping the nation--pun very much intended. Maryland is no exception.

I've recently learned that some of my Swedish relatives have been curling for decades. This may explain why I took so naturally to it when we tried our hand at curling last weekend:
Yes, I'm really sliding across the ice. Yes, I look like an Olympic champion. And, yes, I did fall on my face when both rocks slipped out of my hands and my feet slid backwards.

While Matt lacked my Olympic form, he did manage to stay upright the entire time.

Curling was definitely harder than it looks. Unlike most other Olympic sports, however, Matt and I agreed that we could probably master it in about a week...two tops.

4 comments:

carolmom said...

It is harder than it looks. I would suspect that the two of you would be very good at curling since you're both very coordinated. I remember Uncle Russell talking about all his "bonspiels," and I still have no idea what they are!

Rebecca said...

No way. Curling isn't even cool here.

Cara Berg said...

I agree with Rebecca...curling isn't even cool here! You know it's not a real sport when they allow women 5+ months preggers into the Olympics for the so called "sport!" Bravo for trying something new, but next time, let's jump out of a plane or something! :)

Rachel said...

Considering how hard I hit the ice (belly side down), I would not recommend this sport for pregnant women. Though, perhaps, skydiving is slightly more adventurous. :)