Each week, my students work on a new "grammar violation," i.e., the little grammar bugaboos that drive me insane. We spend the early parts of the year on its/it's, everyday/every day, etc., but we get into more nitpicky grammar later in the year.
Do you know the difference between these words? Do any stump you?
Less/Fewer
Further/Farther
Real/Really
See/Seen
Anxious/Eager
Between/Among
That/Which
Convince/Persuade
Aggravate/Irritate
Imply/Infer
9 comments:
My husband will attest that I'm constantly correcting the "Less/Fewer" errors. It drives me crazy to see the signs that say "Express Lane-10 items or less"!
Another one that we joke about at work is Historic/Historical. Nobody seems to get that one right.
-Samantha
Not gonna lie, I don't know most of them! :) I'm glad you're the English teacher, and I'm just going to play with guns and cameras! :)
I like this one! Right on, Babe!
(Would you email me the deleted comment if you think it's okay to do so?)
. . .and just to add one more, I know that a Ford ad begins "alright," and one of the movie channels advertises "less commercials." Gag me now!
Maybe I'll do an "alright" post about the nonexistant words I read "alot" about. "Irregardless," no one would think it's as funny as I do.
I had to ask what a "graduand" was before my postgrad ceremony. Apparently I was a "graduand" before and a "graduate" after. Silly Europeans, making up words. lol
They are all spelled differently - although the words in each pair are synonyms, right?
Post a Comment