Thursday, September 2, 2010

Guest Grammar Gig

I was flattered to write a guest post on the Marketing Mama blog today.  I'm such a fan of this blog, and I'm delighted to have the chance to contribute to it.  The post features my top 10 grammar pet peeves, or a snapshot of the type of "Grammar Violations" we cover each week in my class.  Due to popular demand (seriously), I'm going to post my Grammar Violations here each week.  Stop back for some roaring fun with grammar (or just to marvel at the fact that I'm teaching material to 10th graders that you probably mastered in 5th grade).

I'm also happy to take requests.  You know, those pesky, "I've always wondered about the difference between..." grammar questions.  No request is too small or seemingly simple, and all requests will be kept anonymous.

I'll leave with an introductory lesson I imparted on some appreciative parents during Back-to-School Night this evening: Avoid alliteration. Always.

5 comments:

Cara Berg said...

Who and Whom...WHOM CARES, or WHO cares?! ;)

No, but really. I tried explaining who and whom to a student, and I was clueless! Mom explained it, but I thought others might like to know!

OR, how about except and accept!

Marketing Mama said...

Rachel, Thanks again for contributing your post today. It was great and I enjoyed it a lot and know my readers did, too. Not sure I understand *why* to avoid alliteration... although I like the humor built into that statement. :)

Tessa said...

Wait! Why would I be wary of alliteration. It's wonderful!

Anna said...

I know we discussed it when you were here, but can you review the difference between 'then' v. 'than'? I need a refresher!

Rachel said...

Sadly, "Avoid alliteration. Always" is the best of my grammar jokes. Unless you consider "Avoid cliches like the plague," but that didn't play as well with the alliteration in this post's title.

I've taken note of your requests, Cara and Anna. Stay tuned...