Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pearls of Teenage Wisdom

My students have been busy in the library this week, researching countries in order to create a story that follows the "Cinderella" archetype, but in a specific culture.  One of my African American students chose to research Germany.  I don't think he'd ever read anything about Germany before.

Student: "So... Can my Cinderella's ball be this Oktoberfest thing?"

Me: "No."

Student: "Why not?  It looks like it's kind of a big deal there."

Me. "Your Cinderella can't go to a beer festival.  Pick something else."

Student: "I've been looking through this book, and I gotta say... I don't think there is anything else."

4 comments:

carolmom said...

Ah, Germany! So many reasons to love it! :)

Rebecca said...

Cinderella can go to a beer fest!

Rachel said...

Not in high school! :)

carolmom said...

Aw, c'mon! There's no age limit in Europe! Give the kids some cultural awareness!