Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pearls of Teenage Wisdom

We're reading Oedipus in class right now.  Today, I introduced the idea of "hamartia," or a tragic flaw.  Oedipus's hamartia was his extreme arrogance (also known as "hubris"), and it ultimately brought upon his downfall.  I asked students to write about their own hamartia, then asked for volunteers to share their flaws.  One of my Asian students, who has only been in this country for a year or two, raised his hand:

"My hamartia is that I a bit racist.  You know, the Chinese, we eat the rice.  You white people, you all eat the bread.  And black people, they eat the fried chicken."

Thankfully, this class has a sense of humor.  I told the student that cultures are more than their carbs, and we moved on quickly.

5 comments:

MrC said...

Oh yeah? I had a student group turn a Greek tragedy into a musical.

Rachel said...

That sounds like a tragedy in an of itself!

carolmom said...

I am always amazed at the "insights" which students bring up. I have no idea how many times I shook my head and took the class off in another direction! They always keep you on your toes, don't they?

Anna said...

You're such a graceful teacher Rachie.

Rebecca said...

I second Anna. I wouldn't have known what to say, but you seemed to handle it with such grace and light humor!