Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dinner for two?

I've been reunited with my camera charger (many thanks, Jessica!), and I have a little downtime in my lesson-planning cRaZinESs, so it's time to get caught up on the gratuitous self-indulgence that is blogging. Ahh...

Matt and I had one of our best Thanksgivings this year. It was so relaxing. We had a ton of good food, some average football (does Detroit have to play on Thanksgiving? I say, let's make good football the new holiday tradition), and I heard my dad's annual reading of the Turkey of the Year. Someday, I'll hear it in person again.

Even though it was just the two of us for dinner this year, we still cooked like we were having an army to the house:

And a hungry army, at that. We're still eating leftovers. Fortunately, we did have eating reinforcements, though the triptophan and wine (What? Wine? Who gave the dog wine?) were a bit too much for him:

Later that day, we continued the Scherer family tradition of bowling on Thanksgiving Day. Since moving to Maryland, we've also incorporated a good old Fargo tradition of betting a can of corn on the outcome. Though I was cheering against him for one very obvious reason, Matt won and the traveling corn trophy came home with us this year:

Yes, that's a six-pound can of corn. No, I won't be surprised if Matt's bowling hand is mysteriously broken next Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you had such a wonderful day. And where did you get a six-pound can of corn? Evidently there are many interesting things out of Fargo! :-)

(And it IS good to see the active blog again!)

Maria said...

That is a lot of flippin' corn!

Rachel said...

Thank you, Costco! We've had that traveling trophy for three Thanksgivings now. We looked at the expiration date this year. If we were to eat it now, we probably wouldn't get sick, but the odds are good that someone would contract botulism if we were to crack it open after bowling in Thanksgiving of '09. Here's hoping it's on to someone else's house by then.

Rebecca said...

Did you have wine AND champagne?! Invite me next year!

Rachel said...

Of course, Rebecca! Sadly, there wasn't as much of that left over.