When we first got off the highway and started seeing farms, we saw house after house with black clothes hanging outside on the clothes lines. "What's with all the black clothes?" I asked Matt. "Hmm," he thought. "They must have a teenager. You know...angst." I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took us to realize that, duh, the Amish wear a lot of black and don't use dryers. It's tough to see in this picture, but one of the infamous clotheslines is in front of this Amish farmhouse:
Matt had never stayed at a B&B before, and I think this one was a good ice breaker. The home was gorgeous! From the living room and dining room...
The fact that the innkeepers have an adorable, energetic yellow lab also helped us feel at home. Tracker tore through the house all weekend, and we were grateful for the company.
By far, though, the highlight of the place was the rich history that lived there. The mansion was a stop on the Underground Railroad, and we learned that it helped nearly 40 slaves find their way to freedom. One of the rooms (located to Tracker's left in the photo above), still has a door in the floor of the closet that leads to the room where the slaves hid:
We'll have more to come soon on our pathetic attempts at the country look, as well as our trip to Gettysburg.
4 comments:
It sounds like you had a fascinating weekend! I don't know if Dad and I could sleep in the "Master's Chamber"--master or not! It's just too cozy!
Did get a chuckle out of Matt's black clothes. . . Rache, you're too into those teen things. Dulaney is already affecting your perceptions!
Tracker, I'm sure, was great company. Did he sleep with you like BarBar does? Eager to see and hear about Gettysburg.
Have you noticed how history keeps working its way into all your visits? Hmmmmmm
History is always an excellent BACKDROP for literature! Yes, Fred, you are right!
(Oh, funny. The "word verification" this time is emish. . . almost like it was reading your blog!)
What a great post.
Post a Comment