Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Barley, my hero

Matt flew in from Vegas last night, and Barley came along to pick him up. Ordinarily, we keep Barley confined to the back of the car, but sometimes I let him ride up front on short trips. I took the picture below on the way to the airport, and it's a perfect illustration of why Barley has lost his front-seat privileges:


But I'm so glad I let him break the rules last night! As soon as we drove up to the airport, one of those pesky airport cadets pulled me over. He looked like he was about 12 and probably weighed 100 pounds soaking wet. This is how our conversation went:

Cadet: Good evening, ma'am (starting with the old lady bit...nice). Did you know you have a headlight out?

Rachel: Yeah, I noticed that on the way over here. (Read: it's been out since at least March) Barley, sit down.

Cadet: Hi, doggie! Oh my, you're friendly.

Rachel: Barley, get off me. Go sit down.

Cadet: What a cute dog. He sure is excited.

Rachel: Yeah, he loves the car. Barley, no! Sit!

Cadet: So about that headlight. I can probably let it go. But do you have your license and registration?

Rachel: No, I don't have it on me right now. (Read: I have no idea where our registration is. I thought that was just something they asked for on TV shows) We live about 2 minutes from here. I just hopped in the car with the dog and left. Barley, go on! Get to the back! Back!

Cadet: Okay, I'll let you go. But make sure you get that headlight fixed, and don't leave home without your paperwork from now on. Can I pet your dog?

Rachel: Sure....

And just like that, I was off scot-free. I'm sure the 12-year-old cadet could've given me a ticket for speeding, too, considering he had his radar gun out and the speed limit is something ridiculous like 4 miles/hour through the airport. Add up all my violations, and Barley saved me at least $200.

My hero.

13 comments:

Alicia DD Spoor said...

I knew Barley would be good for something, but tickets? Hey, we need a dog! Very nice picture as well.

Anna said...

I love this picture of Barley. Could that position really be comfortable?

Rachel said...

Barley is actually good for quite a few things, including but not limited to: cuddling, running, playing, cuddling, guarding, cuddling, and, of course, getting me out of tickets...and cuddling.

I had the defroster on, Anna, so he was sticking his nose up there to inhale the fresh air. The noises that went along with that photo are priceless.

Anonymous said...

What is it about Scherers that they always seem to avoid the worst? No matter what happens, things always work out for the best. It seems that even my grand-dog has that trait!

Rachel said...

Yes, Barley is a member of the family in more ways than one!

Rebecca said...

Great post. I loved reading this, and I really love that photo. How cute. He's got his own personality and quirks, doesn't he?

Unknown said...

You know, the Barley posts get more comments than any others. So if Barley has lost his front seat privileges for riding like that in the passenger seat, what happens to Rachel's privileges for taking photos while driving? Huh? Huh? BAD Rachel! Eyes on the road! You might find yourself sent to a big prison in the desert in the armpit of the world (if you look at this part of the gulf it is shaped a bit like an armpit, and Umm Qasr is right in the sweaty bit)

:)

Marketing Mama said...

I can't believe he asked to pet your dog. That's hilarious!!!

Rachel said...

I've noticed that, too, Jill. Crazy as he may be at times, people seem to love Barley more than Matt or me. Maybe Barley's exploits just make for better stories.

And I was at a stoplight, thank you very much! No trips to any armpits for me!

Anonymous said...

I knew there was something about this that didn't feel right, and I finally realized what it is. You are quite possibly the most responsible person I know. You try to eat as organically as possible, you try to conserve like any good Minnesotan would, and you use items which make us and our planet safer. So WHHHYYYY are you doing something that is completely dangerous by driving around for months with a headlight out? Who cares about registration, but a headlight out can easily confuse other drivers, definitely makes it harder for YOU to see, and above all, it's an easy thing to fix! IRRESPONSIBLE. I don't want to hear anything from you next time I'm puffing on a cancer stick.

Rachel said...

Austin, will you quit smoking when I change my headlight?

Unknown said...

OOOOOOH Snap! Oh No she dih-ent! Watchoo gonna do now Austin?

Murph

Anonymous said...

It'll take me 30, 40 years to die from those delicious smokes. You could die, or kill a whole family, in an instant with that padiddle (sp?)

Sincerely,
Johnny Carcinogen