A few weeks ago, that same girl came to our door with her little sister. I thought they were selling something for school, and I was more than ready to buy some popcorn, wrapping paper, magazines...whatever they were selling, really. Instead, she handed me this piece of paper:
On other days, I don't love our neighborhood so much. For the last week, two perfectly good couches sat on the curb. They were in such good shape, in fact, that another neighbor poked her head out when Matt and I were walking by to ask if we would help her carry them inside. She acted like she was joking, but, in retrospect, I think she may have been serious. Yesterday morning, our garbage collectors loaded those two perfectly good couches into the back of their truck and crushed them down. Why our neighbors didn't offer the couches for free on Craig's List instead of sending them to a landfill is beyond me.
Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that a perfectly good piece of furniture has been left on the curb. We also see litter and food scraps strewn about, both of which were most likely dragged out of garbage bags by the stray cats that other neighbors feed with plates of take-out food. Matt's Buick had a dirty diaper under it for far longer than I care to remember.
I suppose it often takes a great need for change to inspire those with a conscience to take action. Maybe our young neighbor will win accolades for her environmental activism one day. She'll only have her wasteful neighbors to thank.
3 comments:
Isn't it wonderful to see youngsters working like that? We also have to realize that she probably learned it from her parents. Good job, parents!
I love your new header!
I love the optimism! :)
Post a Comment