Finally, some uplifting news from Baltimore City Schools!WYPR, our local public radio affiliate, reported on a new program that not only feeds children healthy meals (made with real food!), but also supports local farmers. They've hired a new chef, Tony Geraci, who realizes that teachers can't do their jobs if their clientele is "jacked up on Lucky Charms, or worse, no food at all."
The root of so many of our country's problems is a lack of education, but that lack of education is a direct result of poverty and poor nutrition. I'm so proud of this initiative!
Click here to listen to the story.
4 comments:
That's great! I remember the crap that was in our lunch line at school. There were days when I would chose not eating over eating greasy pizza with iceburg lettuce as a side. I shudder just thinking about it.
You know, I heard about a school in Wisconsin that does the same thing. They support local farmers, serve kids real food, and save money. Apparently real food from local farmers is cheaper than the processed crap from the USDA, or whoever provides the "food" to schools.
So why in the world are we still serving the frozen, processed stuff to our kids? Even in Minnesota, fresh stuff should be available in the fall and spring.
This is very good news - I hope other schools pay attention and follow suit.
Post a Comment