Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Though I'm not really sure how the Swedish Chef fits in with American Independence Day (unless it's Muppet commentary on immigration policies; but I digress once again), this video is still a great way to celebrate today's holiday:



May your holiday be further enriched by these gratuitous, yet adorable, photos of Barley in his celebratory attire:

Here's to another year of living in a country that grants us, as Franklin Delano Roosevelt so eloquently put it, "freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want, freedom from fear." And as we move through this upcoming year toward our next Independence Day, let us also strive toward another of FDR's mantras: "The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have little."

2 comments:

carolmom said...

. . .and to your last paragraph, all I can say is, AMEN!

Rebecca said...

What is Beaker wearing? Is that a costume? What is he supposed to be?

And, to echo your mom, AMEN to the last paragraph. Did I tell you about the bumper sticker I saw recently? It said, "I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE." Nice. Somehow I don't think that's what the founding fathers meant... But FDR sure got it right.